
That's Not What Happened
by Kody
Keplinger
Hardcover,
329 pages
Published
August 28th 2018 by Scholastic Press
ISBN: 9781338186529
Library/ Met
at Andersons’s YA Literature Conference 2018
About:
It's been three years since the Virgil County High School
Massacre. Three years since my best friend, Sarah, was killed in a bathroom
stall during the mass shooting. Everyone knows Sarah's story--that she died
proclaiming her faith.
But it's not true.
I know because I was with her when she died. I didn't say anything then, and people got hurt because of it. Now Sarah's parents are publishing a book about her, so this might be my last chance to set the record straight . . . but I'm not the only survivor with a story to tell about what did--and didn't--happen that day.
Except Sarah's martyrdom is important to a lot of people, people who don't take kindly to what I'm trying to do. And the more I learn, the less certain I am about what's right. I don't know what will be worse: the guilt of staying silent or the consequences of speaking up . . . (Goodreads)
But it's not true.
I know because I was with her when she died. I didn't say anything then, and people got hurt because of it. Now Sarah's parents are publishing a book about her, so this might be my last chance to set the record straight . . . but I'm not the only survivor with a story to tell about what did--and didn't--happen that day.
Except Sarah's martyrdom is important to a lot of people, people who don't take kindly to what I'm trying to do. And the more I learn, the less certain I am about what's right. I don't know what will be worse: the guilt of staying silent or the consequences of speaking up . . . (Goodreads)
Rating: 4 Stars
Review:
This wasn’t
you average school shooting book. While there were flashbacks to the actual
shooting, the majority of the book happened three years later and deals with
what the surviving victims are going through. There were misconceptions that
occurred during the initial investigation, mostly dealing with a cross that was
found in the bathroom and who it belonged to and what was said by the person
wearing it. The media picked up on one person’s view and it spread like
wildfire until it became the truth and anyone saying otherwise became a target.
Kody does a wonderful job of showing just how far people will go to protect
their beliefs and how far others will go to get the truth out.
I enjoyed
that this was a different take on school shootings. The writing was well done
and realistic. It lost a star from me because there was just something about
the characters that I didn’t care for. I’m not sure what it was, but they just
kind of bugged me. I did like that the book focused on the survivors and the
victims though, and not the shooter. The shooters name is never mentioned and
either are their motives. I liked that the victims came from all sorts of
backgrounds and it shed a light on them in a way that showed that no one is
perfect.
Overall, I’d
say this was a decent read. I’d recommend it to older teens looking for a book
on the subject matter. Some scenes could possibly be a bit intense for younger
readers and due to content some scenes could be a trigger for some people who
have PTSD, depression, anxiety, drug or alcohol abuse, were involved in gun
violence and possibly other things.
On a side
note, I had the pleasure of hearing Kody Keplinger speak earlier this month at
the Anderson’s YA Literature Conference. She seems like an awesome person with
a lot of personality. She’s also a geek like me, so respect to that. She talked
a lot about how telling stories helped her figure out what she cares for and
who she is. She also talked about how she puts a little bit of herself and her
experiences into all of her stories. I’ve read a couple of her other books and
they’ve all been pretty good so far. If you’re looking for a new author’s work
to explore, she might be one you’ll want to check out for realistic fiction.
No comments:
Post a Comment