Search This Blog

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Such A Great Read!

31193426


The Witch Boy

by Molly Ostertag
Hardcover, 224 pages
Published October 31st 2017 by Graphix
ISBN: 9781338089523
Checked Out From Library

About:
In thirteen-year-old Aster's family, all the girls are raised to be witches, while boys grow up to be shapeshifters. Anyone who dares cross those lines is exiled. Unfortunately for Aster, he still hasn't shifted . . . and he's still fascinated by witchery, no matter how forbidden it might be.

When a mysterious danger threatens the other boys, Aster knows he can help -- as a witch. It will take the encouragement of a new friend, the non-magical and non-conforming Charlie, to convince Aster to try practicing his skills. And it will require even more courage to save his family . . . and be truly himself. (Goodreads)

Rating: 5 Stars

Review: 
I loved this graphic novel! I picked it up for the witch factor, but got so much more out of it. The illustrations are colorful and well done. The story is easy to follow and is meaningful. I loved the characters. I loved the witchyness/ native American shape shifter story lines.  But most of all I loved the moral of the story. It challenges gender constrictions in a unique way with the supernatural elements.  It shows that there shouldn’t be girl stuff and boy stuff, there should just be stuff. And if you’re good at something, you should be able to do it no matter what gender you are. People should be who they are and not have to hide it.  This is a great read for younger teens. It might even be good in a classroom or book club to generate discussion. Older teens might find it a bit “kidish” but might still enjoy it. 


Just a couple examples of the gender constrictions being discussed... this is the non supernatural part of the story.



No comments:

Post a Comment