The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1
by Cassandra Clare (Goodreads Author), Cassandra Jean (Goodreads Author) (Illustrator)
Paperback 192 pages
Published November 7th 2017 by Yen Press
Checked Out From Library
About:
Cassandra Clare's bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments, is adapted into a graphic novel series!
(Goodreads)
The first installment of Cassandra Clare's bestselling urban fantasy series, The Mortal Instruments, is adapted into a graphic novel series!
Hanging out with her best friend, Simon, is just about the most exciting thing in Clary's life...that is, until she realizes there are people only she can see. But when her mother disappears and a monster attacks her, Clary has to embrace a world that she never even knew existed--a world full of vampires, werewolves, demons, and those who fight for the humans, Shadowhunters...
(Amazon)
Rating: 3 Stars
Review:
Right from the start I’d like to say that I’ve read the first few books in the original series and enjoyed them. I’ve seen the movie, and though it didn’t match the book as well as I hoped it would, I enjoyed it too. I also watch the TV show, which at first I hated because it really doesn’t match the books, but it definitely grew on me and I now consider myself a fan of it. So I am very familiar with the Mortal Instruments series.
That said, concerning this graphic novel adaptation of the Mortal Instruments, I liked that the story followed the book series better than the tv show/movie does, but the art work didn't work for me. It was to manga like. The character sketches in this bugged me more than the actor choices for the movie did. I just couldn’t get into it. I will admit I’m not a huge manga fan, but I do love graphic novels. That might have been what destroyed this book for me. I heard graphic novel and was expecting something different. The art work is consistent throughout the book, which is always a plus for me. The story was easy to follow, another plus. The setting was drawn well, but I just couldn’t get past the drawings of the people. I also feel like the original book is just to long to be nicely translated into a graphic novel. We barely scratched the surface of the story in this volume! That is something that always annoyed me about these sorts of adaptations. Over all, I give this work a reluctant 3. Fans of manga and the series might be able to get more into this book than me. It’s probably ok for any age teen, though there is a Clary in her underwear scene so be warned lol. I'd recommend reading the actual novels and skipping this adaptation.


No comments:
Post a Comment