
Ghosts
by Raina Telgemeier
Hardcover, 256 pages
Published September 13th 2016 by Graphix
ISBN13: 9780545540612
Library
ABOUT:
THERE'S SOMETHING DIFFERENT ABOUT THIS TOWN...
Catrina and her family are moving to the coast of Northern California because her little sister, Maya, is sick. Cat isn't happy about leaving her friends for Bahía de la Luna, but Maya has cystic fibrosis and will benefit from the cool, salty air that blows in from the sea. As the girls explore their new home, a neighbor lets them in on a secret: There are ghosts in Bahía de la Luna. Maya is determined to meet one, but Cat wants nothing to do with them. As the time of year when ghosts reunite with their loved ones approaches, Cat must figure out how to put aside her fears for her sister's sake -- and her own.
Raina Telgemeier has masterfully created a moving and insightful story about the power of family and friendship, and how it gives us the courage to do what we never thought possible. (GoodReads)
RATING: 5 STARS
REVIEW:
I loved this graphic novel. I picked it up only because it was on a book challenge I’m a part of, but I’m so glad I did.
It is a great story to teach young teens a little about cystic fibrosis and Dia de Los Muertos. It’s definitely fantasy since the ghosts come back to the town to celebrate with the living and our main character flies with them, but that doesn’t take away from the story at all. It gives it a sense of adventure mixed in with the family storyline.
This book has so much heart! I think it would be a great family read with younger children and an overall great read for everyone else.

No comments:
Post a Comment