Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Sorry To Disappoint...


Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1)
by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa,  Robert Hack (Illustrations)
Paperback, 160 pages
Published August 16th 2016 by Archie Comics
ISBN13: 9781627389877
Library

About:
On the eve of her sixteenth birthday, the young sorceress Sabrina Spellman finds herself at a crossroads, having to choose between an unearthly destiny and her mortal boyfriend, Harvey. But a foe from her family's past has arrived in Greendale, Madame Satan, and she has her own deadly agenda. Archie Comics' latest horror sensation starts here! For TEEN+ readers. Compiles the first six issues of the ongoing comic book series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. (Goodreads)

Rating: 3 Stars

Review:
So NOT the TGIF show I loved and remember. I snagged this book to read because I heard that it was being picked up to be a Hulu or Netflix TV show and that it might have connections to the TV show Riverdale. I use to watch Sabrina the Teenaged Witch growing up and loved it so much. I also love Riverdale so I was really excited to hear about potential crossovers. I knew the Chilling Adventures were going to be different and darker, but I don’t think I realized how much darker.  We’ve got a  naked, melted faced sorceress who is summoned by two of our favorite Riverdale/Archie gals, but it’s Sabrina, one town over, who has to deal with the fallout.  There’s tons of black magic and death. I can deal with all of that. I’m even curious to see where the story goes in the second volume. The art however, is not my favorite in this book. The depictions of the characters aren’t consistent and the artist seems to have trouble with facial expressions, especially on the sorceress/Madam Satan.  The Graphic Novel kind of has an old time art feel, that falls flat and doesn’t work with the story. Overall, this book was a disappointment to me. Hard core fans should pick it up just to see what it’s about, but otherwise I’d say skip it.  Try Afterlife With Archie or Jughead The Hunger instead.

Image result for sabrina the teenage witch meme 
I So Loved That Cat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment